The Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS) is a Government scheme that will provide you with a grant as a discount on the installation of renewable technology on your property if you replace your gas/oil boilers. This is contractor led, with the discount passed on to the customer.
What is the Boiler Upgrade Scheme?
The BUS provides discounts to incentivise property owners to upgrade their current heating installations. The property undertaking the upgrade can be residential or commercial, as long as it meets the requirements in the next section. The installer acts on behalf of the owner to apply for the grant and passes the full amount onto the customer as a discount off of the works. The scheme is running from 2022 to 2025 with £450 million of funding available. The awarded grant amount for the supply and installation is different across the available technologies:
- £5000 off for an air source heat pump system
- £5000 off for a biomass boiler
- £6000 off for a ground source heat pump system
- £6000 off for a water source heat pump system
Am I eligible for the scheme?
There are some eligibility criteria for the Boiler Upgrade Scheme, both for the customer and for the installer. See below for a summary of main criteria (full details are on Ofgem’s website).
- Property is located in England or Wales.
- Property is domestic or commercial (social housing is not eligible).
- Must have a current EPC (no more than 10 years old) with no wall or roof insulation recommendations (unless exempt).
- Existing heating system must have been fossil fuel (gas or oil) or electric in a system that does not include a heat pump.
- 45kWth capacity limit.
- The new equipment must be capable of wholly supporting the (main) property’s heating and domestic hot eater demand. Hybrid systems (e.g. ASHP + boiler) are not eligible.
- New equipment must be MCS certified.
- Installer must be MSC certified and accredited.
How can BSE|FM help?
BSE|FM are MCS accredited and certified Air Source Heat Pump installers. Therefore we support customers across London and the South East during the installation and application for the BUS grant. Our experienced installers are backed up by our knowledgeable office team to support you throughout your BUS grant and air source heat pump installation.
Our most recent air source heat pump boiler upgrade scheme saw us upgrade an existing gas boiler installation to a new air source heat pump with new hot water cylinder. The new heat pump will provide all heating and hot water for the 4 bed, 3 bath family home. Our team carried out an assessment on the existing radiators and pipework and calculated the outputs to check they provided sufficient output with the lower grade flow and return temperatures. They do and the client is delighted with their new system.
Please contact our friendly team for more information on how BSE|FM can support you through your air source heat pump installation and boiler upgrade scheme eligibility.